As Australia’s most iconic animal, the kangaroo has captured the hearts of Australian numismatists since 1993 with the release of the Royal Australian Mint’s Kangaroo Series.
Known scientifically as the Macropus giganteus, the Eastern Grey Kangaroo is a beloved Australian icon found throughout the eastern states of Australia.
This remarkable marsupial is one of the largest breeds of kangaroo, and can be found among thick, condensed scrubs or forests feeding its herbivorous diet on grasses and other plants.
Identifiable by its light grey, almost woolly fur (with darker areas around the face and tail tip), it finds peace and shelter in the shade of trees during the hottest times of the day. From the cooler afternoons to the early mornings, it ventures out to the open spaces to seek its food.
Although it is known to breed throughout the year, the summer months are its peak breeding season.
- The latest release in the highly-popular annual Kangaroo Series, and a continuation of the Seasons Change theme released annually since 2016
- One ounce of fine silver
- Finished to the Royal Australian Mint’s proof standard
- Coin’s reverse pictures a growing kangaroo seeking shade from the summer heat
- Strictly limited mintage of 5000 coins
- Numbered Certificate of Authenticity
- Packaged in a presentation case with outer box